Champ News is a service of Champion Newspapers ... Sefton & West Lancashire's favourite local newspaper
 
NEWS STORY Champion Story


.You can order this picture now by going to PIXONLINE - the Champion Photo Library
Picture no: 1063925



Bookmark and Share
What do you think?
Write directly to the reporter

 d.thompson@champnews.com
Monday, 18 November 2013 (3045526)
Electronic shocker!
by Danielle Thompson


WHEN smoker Claire Connolly decided to switch from ‘regular' cigarettes to the electronic variety she thought it would be better for her health - until one blew up giving her a nasty burn and setting light to her carpet!

Claire, from Green Lane, Ormskirk, first started using electronic or e-cigarettes around 12 months ago.

Last week she decided to try a new type but when she put it on charge on Wednesday (November 13) she returned after two hours to find that it had exploded - and the carpet was on fire!

She managed to put out the fire herself but suffered burns to her thumb.

It is believed that she used a 5-volt charger, instead of an industry-standard 4.2 volt one.

She said: “If I hadn’t got home when I did it would have set the whole house on fire.”

John Jones, of JK’s E-cigs, based across the North West, said that using a higher voltage charger than needed with an electronic cigarette would cause fires and would be very dangerous.

He said: “Any battery charged with a charger that has a higher output than the battery can handle is a fire hazard.”

A spokesman for Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said: “Rechargeable lithium batteries power a wide range of electrical devices and have largely replaced early types of rechargeable batteries, such as nickel-cadmium, holding their charge longer between recharging.

”It's vital, however, that the charger the maker of the batteries specifies be used is used, since a variation in the output voltage specification of the charger can result in overheating of the battery and can potentially cause a fire.

“This is possible whatever the particular device, whether e-cigarette or a child's toy car. It's essential to follow the manufacturer's instructions.”






-Back-  


Champion House ad

Advertise on this website

Click logo to return to our front page
youtube
facebook
twitter
• 
• 
•  Buy & Sell
•  About us
•  Contact us
•  Useful links
CHAMPION NEWSPAPERS
Clare House
166 Lord Street
Southport PR9 0QA
United Kingdom
Telephone
01704 392 392
Sefton & West Lancashire’s favourite newspaper
delivered to over 166,000 homes every week
Champion newspaper titles and champnews.com website are published by Champion Media Group, a trading style of Waypride Limited.
Company registered in England & Wales at Clare House, 166 Lord Street, Southport, PR9 0QA, company registration number 2889999, VAT registration number 582 4899 86. © 1999-2016 Champion Media Group. All rights reserved. No content of this website may be used without the express permission of the publishers in writing.
Information believed correct at time of publication, but subject to change without notice.CMG are not responsible for the content of external websites. Website designed by CMG CREATIVE.