Champ News is a service of Champion Newspapers ... Sefton & West Lancashire's favourite local newspaper
 
NEWS STORY Champion Story


.
Picture no:



Bookmark and Share
What do you think?
Write directly to the reporter

 ollie.cowan@champnews.com
Friday, 13 March 2015 (3063569)
Bedding close to electric fire may have caused blaze that killed pensioner, 89
by Ollie Cowan


A FATAL house fire in Southport is suspected to have been caused accidentally after a quantity of bedding caught fire.

Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service (MF&RS) attended the property on Poulton Road at around 11.30am on Tuesday, March 10.

An 89-year-old man was retrieved from the property by firefighters and was handed over to the care of paramedics but sadly later died.

The fire involved a small electric fire and a quantity of bedding in a rear ground floor room of the house.

There was heavy smoke damage to the room and light smoke damage to the ground floor of the property.

Two fire appliances from Southport Community Fire Station and a fire appliance from Formby Community Fire Station were called out and firefighters were at the scene until just after 1.10pm.

A reassurance campaign will be held in the surrounding area on Thursday, March 19.

During the campaign firefighters and MF&RS prevention staff will visit properties in the surrounding area as part of a reassurance campaign, offering fire safety advice, fitting smoke alarms and carrying out Home Fire Safety Checks.

Group Manager Rob Pritchard, Sefton District Manager, said: “Firefighters and prevention staff will be visiting homes during the campaign offering important fire safety advice.

”People are advised to check on elderly and vulnerable relatives or neighbours, ensuring they have working smoke alarms on each level of their property.

“Residents are advised to take extra care with their heating. Where possible, people are advised to replace electric fires with safer oil filled radiators.

”People are also urged to keep combustible materials, such as clothing or bedding, well away from fires and heaters.

“If anyone would like to request a Home Fire Safety Check for their own property or for someone else they can call 0800 731 5958.”

For free fire safety advice, or to request a Home Fire Safety Check, call 0800 731 5958 or go to www.merseyfire.gov.uk. Family members concerned about elderly relatives can also request a Home Fire Safety Check by calling that number.








-Back-  


Champion House ad

Advertise on this website

Click logo to return to our front page
youtube
facebook
twitter
• 
• 
•  Buy & Sell
•  About us
•  Contact us
•  Useful links
CHAMPION NEWSPAPERS
Clare House
166 Lord Street
Southport PR9 0QA
United Kingdom
Telephone
01704 392 392
Sefton & West Lancashire’s favourite newspaper
delivered to over 166,000 homes every week
Champion newspaper titles and champnews.com website are published by Champion Media Group, a trading style of Waypride Limited.
Company registered in England & Wales at Clare House, 166 Lord Street, Southport, PR9 0QA, company registration number 2889999, VAT registration number 582 4899 86. © 1999-2016 Champion Media Group. All rights reserved. No content of this website may be used without the express permission of the publishers in writing.
Information believed correct at time of publication, but subject to change without notice.CMG are not responsible for the content of external websites. Website designed by CMG CREATIVE.