Pirates on Dock returning with a bang to city
PIRATES on the Dock, returns with a bang to Royal Albert Dock Liverpool on September 15 and 16 - and it's all hands on deck for the most explosive one yet!
This year's epic event will see the triumphant return of the stunning two mast brig Phoenix - made famous for her appearance in hit BBC TV shows Poldark and Doctor Who.
She will form the centrepiece of a dramatic live cannon battle under sail in the Dock, pitting the baddies against the Phoenix crew and their precious cargo, Megan - The Queen of the Mersey Mermaid. Will she be made to walk the plank and meet her fate in Davy Jones's locker?
The Mermaid Parade is also back, and visitors are encouraged to dress up in their best pirate and mermaid costumes to impress the beautiful Megan as she makes her regal procession around Royal Albert Dock Liverpool.
Throughout both days Pirates on the Dock will also feature the pounding beats of Mersey Batala, the jaw-dropping manoeuvres of the Acro Jugglers, and the hilarious Aargh Pirate on Segway - which needs to be seen to be believed! Little ones will also witness the clash of metal during the Pirate Combat Show, Mr Smee's Children Show straight out of J.M Barrie's classic play, Peter Pan, pirate boat tours, storytime, live pirate and pop music, pirate treasure hunt and more.
Merseyside Maritime Museum will be celebrating with a weekend of free pirate-themed fun including stories, face painting, pirate crafts and live music (1-4pm). Sponsor for this year's Pirates on the Dock, John West, the UK's leading canned fish brand with over 160 years of history, will also be on hand to make sure families can enjoy a special John West treasure hunt around the Dock.
Also new for 2018 - Dock restaurant, Gusto, will be inviting families to join them on the Sunday to enjoy breakfast with a pirate. From 9am-11.45am the venue will be taken over by a troop of unruly swashbucklers who will be roaming around the restaurant and treating paying brunch guests to a memorable dining experience. Pre-booking is essential for this event.
Clare Rawlinson, marketing manager, Royal Albert Dock Liverpool, said: “We are very excited to announce the full programme for this year’s Pirates on the Dock. It is one of our most popular events here at the Dock and a firm favourite among our family audience, both landlubbers and old salts alike!”
The programme at a glance (all activity takes place on both days of the event):
· Acro Jugglers Show - Anchor Courtyard (2-3pm) and Martin Luther King Jnr Building (4-5pm)
· Aargh Pirate on Segway - Salthouse Quay and Martin Luther King Jnr Building (11.30am), and Hartley Quay and Stage (1pm)
· Batala Mersey drummers - Martin Luther King Jnr Building (11.45am), inner Royal Albert Dock Liverpool quay (2.15pm) and Car Park A (4pm)
· Pirate Combat Show - Martin Luther King Jnr Building (1.30am)
· Storytelling - Hartley Quay and Stage (12 noon and 3.45pm)
· Mermaid Parade - Hartley Quay and Stage (12.30pm)
· Mr Smee's Children's Show - Hartley Quay and Stage (4pm)
· Pop and pirate music - France Hayhurst tugboat (4.30pm), and Car Park A (11am, 3.30pm and 5.15pm)
· Pirate Battle - inner Royal Albert Dock Liverpool quay (2.30pm)