HOME -- Champion News21 Oct 2018

  • Search News
  • Editions 
  • Categories 
  • Search News
  •  
  • Keyword
  • Editions
  • Sub Category
  • Month
  •  
  • Town named as ‘hotspot’ for risky gas appliances

    Danielle Thompson

    SOUTHPORT has been named as a ‘hot spot’ for dangerous gas appliances in the North West – with hundreds of appliances listed in the last year as ‘at risk.’

    Gas network Cadent is calling on schools in Southport to help spread the carbon monoxide (CO) safety message after their 2017-18 report listed 263 gas cookers, boilers and fires were condemned as being at risk or immediately dangerous in the town.

    Faulty or badly-maintained gas appliances can leak deadly carbon monoxide, which kills 40 people a year and sees a further 4,000 visiting accident and emergency departments with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Now, with the help of a cuddly caped crusading bear named Safety Seymour, Cadent staff are aiming to tackle the scourge of CO.

    It is urging schools to sign up to a free day of carbon monoxide safety educational activities, run in the classroom, aimed at Year 2 pupils and aligned to the national curriculum. The call to action comes only a few days after Gas Safety Week, the annual gas industry initiative to raise awareness of the dangers of poorly-maintained gas appliances, including the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Cadent spokesperson, Amanda O’Shea, said: “Research shows that families with children are among those most at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning.

    “Safety Seymour teaches youngsters how to stay safe and they take that knowledge home to their mums, dads, wider families and carers.

    “It’s all about safeguarding future generations by embedding CO safety knowledge at an early age.

    “Carbon monoxide poisoning is easily preventable yet thousands of people every year suffer from CO symptoms or even die.

    “Here are Safety Seymour’s three steps to staying CO safe.

    “Firstly, identify the danger and know the symptoms of CO poisoning. These include headaches, feeling sick, breathlessness, dizziness, collapse and loss of consciousness. Also check for warning signs that your appliances aren’t working properly. These can include a lazy yellow or orange flame instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around an appliance and too much condensation in a room. If you suspect a carbon monoxide leak call the National Gas Emergency Service immediately on 0800 111 999.

    “Secondly, get your gas appliances checked every year by a Gas Safe Registered engineer. You can find a registered engineer in your area by calling Gas Safe Register on 0800 408 5500 or visit GasSafeRegister.co.uk

    “Lastly, install an audible carbon monoxide alarm which will alert you if dangerous levels are present in your home.”


Back to Home