Two Tories quit to form new group on Sefton Council



Two Tories quit to form new group on Sefton Council

by Tom Martin (May 2022)

THE Conservative Group has lost two more seats on Sefton Council following a double resignation.

Cambridge Cllr Sinclair D’Albuquerque and Ainsdale Cllr Terry Jones quit the party last week to form what they are calling the ‘Southport Councillor Group’.

Following the shock loss in the local election earlier this month by Conservative deputy group leader Denise Dutton in Formby, it means the Tory group have gone from having eight councillors on the local authority to now only having five - three less than the Lib-Dems.

Cllrs D’Albuquerque and Jones released a statement on May 16 to explain their decision to leave the Sefton Conservative Group was due to a “lack of clarity, direction and a weakness in the leadership.”

‘Impossible’

They said: “In our opinion, the recent leadership of both the local Conservative Association and the Conservative Councillor Group, being one and the same, has caused issues in recent years.

“Change was necessary but impossible. Despite us raising our concerns to the previous leader (now deputy group leader), he was unwilling to consider the necessary changes. The situation caused a division within the group.

Continued on page 5

From page 1

“Communication and organisation collapsed, and we failed to agree on many serious issues affecting residents.

“A lack of clarity, direction and a weakness in the leadership forced us to realise that we had no other option than to leave the group.

“Following a last-minute plea to both of us from the new leader to stay with the councillor group, his attempts to resolve the situation were blocked and we were left with no choice but to leave.

“Now, as members of the Southport Councillor Group, we will be able work with anyone to find the best outcomes for Southport residents and be that strong voice on the council, that the residents who elected us, expect us to be.”

Sefton’s new Conservative Leader, Dukes Cllr Mike Prendergast, who has replaced Cllr Tony Brough in the position, said: “I am obviously very disappointed that Councillors Jones and D’Albuquerque have decided to not remain part of the Conservative Group on Sefton Council.

“Whilst I do not recognise the interpretation of events provided by Cllrs Jones and  D’Albuquerque, I would like to thank them for their service and contribution and wish them both well for the future. I look forward to working with them.”



Earn extra cash by delivering the Champion Newspaper

Search for news

Popular in the last 7 days