Investigatory works to begin for new Marine Lake Events Centre

Investigatory works to begin for new Marine Lake Events Centre

by Tom Martin (August 2022)

INVESTIGATORY works are set to begin at the site of the new Marine Lake Events Centre.

Letters have been sent to local residents to inform them that investigatory works on the existing Southport Theatre and Convention Centre site and the Upper Promenade, will start on Monday, August 8.

The plan is tear down the STCC and build the new £75million Marine Lake Events Centre in its place.

The investigatory works are needed in order to finalise the design and development.

Expected to take around four weeks, Monday to Friday, from 8am to 6pm, the investigations will involve assessing the underground conditions to progress the design further. Measures will be in place to minimise disruption to local residents, businesses and neighbours.

Excitement for the Marine Lake Events Centre, as well as the adjacent Water and Light Show project on the lake, has been building in recent months, and a detailed planning application for its creation has already been submitted.

After approving the business case last week, Sefton Council is now keen to progress the scheme “as quickly as possible.”

Sefton Council’s Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Skills, Cllr Marion Atkinson said: “The Marine Lake Events Centre is a hugely exciting and hugely important scheme for Southport and Sefton.

“The Centre is forecast to attract more than half a million visitors to Southport year on year and generating an annual £18 million for the local economy so I am pleased to see work to progress getting underway so soon after receiving Council Cabinet backing.

“We now need the Government to release the funding we need to make the Centre a reality as soon as possible.”

Plans to procure a Design & Build contractor and an Operating Partner for the venue were also agreed at a recent Sefton Council Cabinet meeting.

The Marine Lake Events Centre is one of the schemes being developed as a result of the successful bid for £37.5m of Town Deal funding for Southport.

Cllr Atkinson also talked about the work that has gone into getting the scheme to this stage.

She said: “I would like to thank all the Sefton Council staff involved for the huge efforts that has gone into reaching this important milestone for the Southport Marine Lake Events Centre, and my Cabinet colleagues for their support.

“This and the other Town Deal schemes will be a game-changers for the economy of Southport and Sefton and will provide a huge boost for local businesses as well as opportunities for new ones.

“It’s critical that we can now get on and deliver for the residents of Sefton.”


 



Earn extra cash by delivering the Champion Newspaper

Search for news

Popular in the last 7 days